Re: Resources for learning Structured Writing?

Subject: Re: Resources for learning Structured Writing?
From: Laura Lemay <lemay -at- lauralemay -dot- com>
To: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:52:18 -0700

> If you're training your people to be TWs in 1989 this would be one
> good way to go about it, assuming you could find IM resources without
> the IM branding. But the field has moved on.

I was trained as a tech writer in 1989, and I learned information mapping in passing (not officially) as part of that. Information mapping does not teach you structured writing as we know it today. It does teach you things that are blatantly obvious to current tech writing practice, eg, audience analysis, task-orientation, chunking content, using headings, introducing and summarizing sections and subsections. It was new strategy in the 1980s, but yes, the field has moved on. I think pursuing it is likely to be a dead end.

In terms of actually learning about structured writing, the book "Single Sourcing: building modular documentation" was recommended to me a long while ago (I admit I never got around to reading it).
http://www.amazon.com/William-Andrew-Publishing-Technical-Writing/dp/0815514913

Laura