Re: Has technical writing fallen from grace?

Subject: Re: Has technical writing fallen from grace?
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Daniel Friedman <daniel -dot- friedman42 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 13:24:36 -0700

In the case of tech writing, the "fad" would be whatever the writing was about, be it dotcom sites, complicated cell phones that lack user friendly UIs or what have you. All of these, in their time, generated "new" professions, which were really just existing ones that few people had heard of before because they were esoteric and required specialized knowledge to qualify for, but for brief periods generated short term opportunities at inflated rates of pay for people with lower level skills.

During the period from 1995-2000, the attendance at monthly meetings of the Silicon Valley Chapter of STC swelled to the hundreds, filled large convention halls at the Sunnyvale Hilton and formed long lines at the catered buffets. By 2005, meetings had gone back to being held in the conference rooms of rotating host companies, with refreshments being carted in from Togo's.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 10/26/2014 11:03 AM, Daniel Friedman wrote:

I don't remember tech writing ever being mentioned in mass media, let alone being a "fad" career. I've ran into many people in social situations that have never heard of tech writing or even considered that it is a profession. I've heard responses like "I guess someone has to write manuals" or "that's a new one, and I'm a bartender so I meet people that do just about everything."

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l