Re: Large Documents in Word

Subject: Re: Large Documents in Word
From: John Allred <john2 -at- allrednet -dot- com>
To: Lin Sims <ljsims -dot- ml -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 13:00:11 -0600

When I allow myself the luxury, I dream of Microsoft throwing in the towel on Word trying to compete large document editing, something the underlying engine was never suited for and never will be. Without the Microsoft brand, no corporate publishers would have ever used it for more than simple text editing for documents to be included within true publishing software output.

If they really wanted to corner this market, Microsoft would go to Corel and buy, then resurrect, Ventura Publisher. I would be happy to share with anyone who was interested, very long, complex, even data and graphics-heavy documents that would produce bug-free postscript for imagesetters or comparatively tiny PDF documents. Simply put, that software, which by the way, sprung to life under the hands of engineers already well-versed in SGML, did anything you could ever expect a publishing tool to do, and more.

Okay, my reverie is over. Back to the real world of wrestling with software to get it to do what it's demonstrably unsuited for.

John Allred