RE: Are there any industry standards for writing product dimensions (width, height, depth) ??

Subject: RE: Are there any industry standards for writing product dimensions (width, height, depth) ??
From: "David Artman" <david -at- davidartman -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 07:35:41 -0700

I think your order of dimensions should reflect how a customer would
want to consider them.

* On the one hand, height and width matter more to a TV buyer than
depth, especially when you consider modern flat panels going into home
entertainment system cabinetry.
* On the other hand, height and depth might matter more to a
refrigerator buyer, who has to stay under overhead cabinetry and align
with existing cabinetry depth (let's assume the fridge is at the end of
a counter, so width is even less of an issue).
* On the gripping hand, width and depth matter more to a countertop
stove buyer than height (which is usually not a factor unless you've got
REALY low upper cabinetry).

My company sells products to customers that invariably have floor space
constraints, and so our dimensions are strongly 'footprint-oriented',
with width and depth prominent (while height is almost always moot,
except during installation).

Focus on the product's application and you'll quickly realize what
dimensions should have priority. If all else fails: WxHxD is the typical
order in which one draws a 3D Cartesian grid (x, y, z). ;)

HTH;
David