Re: "Credentials are so 20th century" - "The degree is doomed" - Harvard Business Review

Subject: Re: "Credentials are so 20th century" - "The degree is doomed" - Harvard Business Review
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>, techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 12:03:00 -0800

In the Post WWII era, veterans' educational benefits heavily emphasized higher education, to the extent that many occupations that had never required degrees to enter found themselves unable to fill openings because the labor market became flooded with new grads with four-year degrees who were looking for better opportunities. Many employers responded by upping the education "requirements" for skilled jobs to make them more attractive to the new grads, and before long jobs like drafter or machine operator were redefined as "designer" or "technician."

Then technology made those jobs more complex than they used to be, and instead of just adding more OTJ training, the education requirements were pushed off onto academia. This resulted in academics coming to believe that they were the ones defining the skills that needed to be taught for most skilled occupations - not altogether without justification, since most employers now seemed to employ a "we don't know what we want but we'll know it when we see it" paradigm for filling many jobs and provided little or no guidance to academia on what to train people to do for them.

This model began to break down in the 80s. Reductions in government support to higher education resulted in people having to borrow massive amounts of money to get a college degree, and they expected to be paid enough to repay their student loans AND live a halfway normal life. Employers are now looking for ways to reduce the pay rates for as many jobs as they can, and realizing that people don't actually need college degrees to do a lot of jobs is the result.

Gene Kim-Eng

(I finally got to use "paradigm" in something where it actually made sense!)

On 12/8/2014 11:20 AM, Tony Chung wrote:

This guy's thought more about this topic than I have, but we seem to agree that "academia will soon eat itself".

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1pJ4zPa