Instructional design vs. machinist uptake

Subject: Instructional design vs. machinist uptake
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 16:14:10 -0800

Here's a whopper (abridged):

Aside from the daily grind of preparing user manuals I see this position as
an opportunity to take our company to the next level when it comes to
developing *effective* work instructions. The management team is held
accountable for...external quality...As we discussed, [company] cannot
guarantee that operators are formally trained. We rely on Power Point work
Instructions to aid assembly operations. This is not effective enough...
Can you elaborate on how you might lead efforts to elevate [company] to a
breakthrough quality improvement?

This was not the original job req. and only came up during a phone
interview with this person. Now I've completed train-the-trainer courses
and understand the three learning modalities. I also have a modicum of
instructional design under my belt. But I never claimed to be the guru of
this specialized niche, nor was I expecting to have to take the lead on it.
As for any final aide (whatever its form), you can lead a horse to
water.....

What would you do? I've never seen their shop floor, never interviewed any
of the mfg. personnel, etc., so am clueless as to why their existing
procedure is breaking down (other than PPT not being an optimal delivery
vehicle, perhaps). I really think this is the realm of a consultant who
specializes in such matters, don't you? Once the consultant develops a
plan, I'd be happy to carry it out. But no way do I want to be on the
chopping block if they can't raise their QC metrics.

Thoughts?

Thanks and Happy New Year

. Chris (who feels like he's getting blindsided)
Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1pJ4zPa