Re: Resume styles

Subject: Re: Resume styles
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2015 11:38:51 -0800

My reply:

Like you, Iâve held positions where Iâve been part of a hiring team and
have reviewed many a resume. I believe there is a time to be conservative
and a time to be flashy, or unconventional.

I've read a lotâand continue to readâabout resume formatting in this modern
age. First and foremost, applicants donât always know when their resume
will be machine-scanned for keywords, and possibly rejected, before any
human has a chance to review it. If a machine can't scan it, the candidate
is summarily rejected; rarely is there a second chance.

Opinions will always vary widely regarding length. For my line of work, I
still believe the condensed two-page resume, laid out in a traditional
format, is best. I grant you that, given this imposed space limitation, it
has a been an ongoing challenge to convey the many ways in which Iâve
contributed to enterprises with which Iâve been associatedâhence my choice
of margins, typefaces, sizes, and overall layout. On the flipside, my
resume has impressed enough companies to want to engage with me (including
[company]), so why change what works? I continue to seek ways to improve it, but
Iâm hoping that my <company> candidacy will make this a moot point.
As for LinkedIn, a complete profile there serves a different purpose than a
resume. Iâve used it as a platform whereby I can tell a much broader story.
However, many LinkedIn consultants would proclaim that my profile is far
too long; Iâve taken this into consideration but have yet to act on it.

> Chris