FrameMaker archive script question

Subject: FrameMaker archive script question
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 14:41:03 +0000 (UTC)

Folks,

(I'd post this on the frameusers list, but that list is pretty much useless for me since my stuff doesn't get posted for sometimes a full day. anyway, FrameMaker 11 on Windows XP and Windows 7 platforms)

When using the script supplied by I-forgot-who to archive (or "bundle") files like the late Bruce Foster's really good archive plug-in used to do, we're having problems with broken cross-references between chapter files of the same book.

Specifically, the newly generated archive folder includes the usual chapter ".fm" files in the main level and also a subfolder called "insets".

The insets folder includes not only all referenced images used across the entire book, but also additional ".fm" files. These ".fm" files include not only the chapter files but the TOC files for the various chapters.

The problem is that the x-refs in the chapter ".fm" files in the MAIN archive folder are linked to target chapter ".fm" files in the INSETS folder. (Note that x-refs linked to targets within the same chapter work fine as-is.)

Not knowing better and assuming that the FrameMaker files inside the INSETS folder are simply unneeded duplicates, we deleted them. But THOSE are the target files for x-refs from the FrameMaker files in the main folder. So now, when I open the book and its member chapter files in the main level of the archive folder, I must re-link all x-refs to the FrameMaker files in that main folder as well.

Is there a fix for this problem, a setting perhaps that will generate only ONE set of FrameMaker files for the main level of the archive folder to which all x-refs will stay linked?

-- Ken in Atlanta

Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT