Re: Grief with FrameMaker 11

Subject: Re: Grief with FrameMaker 11
From: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
To: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>, TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2015 20:52:56 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks Steve,
At this time, we had one of the writers update his FrameMaker application, which allowed him to at least create a postscript file. If he has no other problems, the other writers will probably do the same.
We'll see . . .
-- Ken in Atlanta

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 4:46 PM, "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com> wrote:

I haven't read the whole thing but Print to Adobe crashes Frame and as I recall has done so at the last 2 or 3 jobs I've worked where I've used Frame (maybe since version 9 or 10).

We use Save as PDF.

Apologies if you've already discussed this or tried it with no success.

Steve

On Tuesday, May 26, 2015 1:06 PM, Ken Poshedly wrote:

We are having one heck of a problem with FrameMaker 11 files spontaneously converting into MIF files as well as FrameMaker book files crashing (closing) FrameMaker on three of the platforms in my group. Neither of these problems occur on my computer.

We're all running HP computers -- Windows XP on my "HP Pavilion" and Windows 7 on the three "HP Pro" computers. And we all create and work with files on the same network server. (I know some of you frown on that, but it works for us.)

And we now are even more attentive to making sure we're referencing our image files instead of embedding them, and trying to keep those image files down below several hundred kilobytes at most, though a larger one does occasionally sneak in.

******************************

Here's what happened today:

Chris in my department used the proper command sequence to successfully open Framemaker, then a Framemaker book that he's been working on for a week or so then sucessfully open all chapters in that book (via the book command to open all files). But this morning, most the 10 chapter files were now MIF files.

A check of the file listing for this book in Windows 7 showed all of them as ".fm" files along with the usual "Fm" icon. To check them, I opened each with Notepad and all opened with lines of readable, editable text. This is bad because that meant they were actually MIF files.

So one-by-one, I did a "save-as" to convert them back into actual FrameMaker files; I used Notepad once more to check and they all opened with the usual upper ASCII stuff and gobbledygook that meant they were NOT MIF files. This is good.

Later this afternoon:

1. I watched every keystroke and mouse movement that Chris in my department used to successfully open Framemaker, then that same Framemaker book and then sucessfully open all chapters in that book (via the book command to open all files). They were all FM files. So far so good.

2. Right after left-clicking on Print Book, then choosing Adobe as the printer (to create a postscript file), and checking the usual boxes to Print to File and Create Acrobat Data, and then Print, Frame crashed.

3. So I repeated steps 1 and 2 to successfully create not only the postscript file but then run that file through Adobe Distiller to get a totally proper pdf file.

There seems to be no pattern regarding file sizes or anything else. And as stated above, none of these MIF conversions or crash problems occur on my computer.

Is there a FM 11.0 bug or other cause that any of you may be aware of or do any of you have any suggestions. One of my FM "guru" friends suggested updating the HP Pro computer graphics card drivers.

These problems are, unfortunately, intermittent. Like one of the Murphy's Laws says, "The repair man will never have seen a problem quite like yours."

Help please?

Ken in Atlanta

Adobe TCS 5: Get the Best of both worlds: modern publishing and best in class XML \ DITA authoring | http://adobe.ly/scpwfT