Re: Freelance, contract part-time

Subject: Re: Freelance, contract part-time
From: "Elisa R. Sawyer" <elisawyer -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Karl Norman <kylesimmons0164 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 12:42:50 -0700

I have often turned to Nolo (http://www.nolo.com/) for legal information.
It's a good starting place for getting an understanding of many things
legal.They have a lot of information on independent contracting and running
small businesses.

Should you decide that you need a lawyer for anything, you might still want
to read up on issues beforehand, to reduce the amount of time for which you
pay those high fees. :-)

-Elisa

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 6:49 PM, Karl Norman <kylesimmons0164 -at- gmail -dot- com>
wrote:

> [...]
> > such,
> > your 1099 rate should be about double your W2 rate, but typically shops
> > wanting you to work 1099 means they want to get you on the cheap. The
> main
> > company avoids 1099 to individuals as there are too many pitfalls for
> them,
> > getting stuck with paying you employee benefits due to lawsuits and
> > government actions. A 1099 doesn't insulate them enough from you.
> >
> > Temp to Hire is another trap. Say the rate should be $35 but they tell
> you
> > it is only $30 because it is Temp To Hire, as though you get some huge
> > benefit by being hired. It is a carrot. If you do get hired, your pay and
> > benefits probably won't equal the $30, let alone the $35, because they
> will
> > say your $45,000 salary plus the benefits equal the larger amount.
> >
> > Learn to save. You without question MUST have 3 months of money to live
> on.
> > You need to increase that to 6 months as soon as possible, within the
> first
> > two years. A contract can end at any second and there isn't any recourse,
> > so
> > prepare to weather the financial storm. For example, you go 1000 miles
> to a
> > job, work a week, and it ends. You are out all the money traveling there,
> > having to pay hotel rates for a place to stay for a few weeks, and travel
> > back home, if you have one.
> >
> > Live light. If you can't pack it in your car, SUV, van, or truck, you
> don't
> > need it.
> >
> > You are NOT an employee. Never mistake that status.
> >
> > There are lots of rules and laws you need to know. Learn them.
> >
> > One is overtime. There are laws that allow them NOT to pay it for some
> > contractors, HOWEVER, if it is in your contract, they must. ALWAYS get
> that
> > in the contract or do not work OT. Contracts are written agreements
> between
> > you and the shop you are working for who rents you to the client. You can
> > always change a contract before signing, as it is what you agree to. As
> > long
> > as they are small changes, they almost always agree. Regardless of what
> > they
> > tell you, they do not have 100 others for the same job, or they would not
> > be
> > sending you a contract. You are it.
> >

> > Now it can be rewarding. You get to see a lot of the country. You get to
> > learn new industries. You don't get bored. You gain a sense of freedom
> most
> > will never know. When a company begins layouts, you shrug your shoulders
> > and
> > don't worry, because you probably have one bag in the place and can leave
> > with 5 minutes notice, unlike those whose world just fell apart and have

Elisa Rood Sawyer
Technical and Creative Writer
"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today." Mark Twain