RE: How does Localization work with Madcap Flare!

Subject: RE: How does Localization work with Madcap Flare!
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: punit shrivastava <punitshrivastava -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 17:31:25 +0000

Hi Punit,

For localization requirements, you'll be able to work with Flare in conjunction with MadCap Lingo if you want to create your own localized versions. Otherwise, you would package up the project in Flare itself and send that to a localization vendor for translation. When the translated version comes back, you review it, maybe go back and forth once or twice with the vendor, and when it's ready, release to that language. The Flare Language Support Guide may be helpful, as will the forum (per Craig's link) and you can always contact MadCap themselves, especially if you have a support plan. They are responsive. Also suggest you check the free online webinars at MadCap's site, especially recent ones on Lingo -- Jose Sermeno has a couple of good ones. They show you step by step how to use Flare and Lingo to develop translations of your documents.

Migration from Authorit is a little more challenging but perhaps not difficult. MadCap would probably be your best source there, in addition to the forums. Suggest looking at the Flare Import Guide. Download the big zip of all their PDFs here if you haven't already:
http://webhelp.madcapsoftware.com/flare11/Content/PDF_Guides/PDF_Guides.htm

I don't see a native Authorit importer but as I recall there might be a plugin. Another option might be to output the Authorit project to an intermediate format that Flare can import without difficulty.

No one has an easy time doing data conversion from one big product to another. There are companies that make a living doing this, so don't feel bad if it's not a pushbutton process. Expect to spend some time and do a bit of work converting your Authorit projects.

I know this is not the best advice but from this sometime user it's the best I can offer.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Steve

On Thursday, June 04, 2015 8:56 AM, punit shrivastava wrote:

Hi All,
We are in the process of finalizing Madcap Flare for our vast technical documentation requirements. Through research and demo it looks impressive for the usage that we have.

But, probably I fail understand how does it work for the following:
1. Localization requirements
2. Migration of content from existing tool (Author IT) to Flare.

Request guidance from the members.

Thanks and regards,
Punit S.

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW