Re: Future Tech Writer with Software Questions

Subject: Re: Future Tech Writer with Software Questions
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 14:11:19 -0400

Each Adobe product has a corresponding *Classroom In a Book*, complete with a
set of exercises on a disc. So... get the free 30-day trial of each product
(one at a time, whatever) and use the corresponding CIB. The CIBs can be
acquired at a discount because of your student status. See
academicsuperstore{dot}com.

First, become an expert in MS Word. Know everything there is to know about
creating, using, and (most importantly) fixing styles. Learn all you can
about Word's replaceable variables. The bulk of my work today
is reworking user manuals that were incorrectly formatted from the get-go.
Ping me and I'll tell you more. Related to that, know how to take a user
manual from PDF to Word and back again, discovering all of
the pitfalls along the way.

You might also have a look at Safari Books Online. I forget what an annual
subscription runs, but this may be a great source for you.

As for HTML, check out w3c.org. It's chock full of free resources,
including tutorials. Along with HTML, you'll want to have a basic
understanding of cascading style sheets (CSS) and JavaScript.
Just knowing where to find sample code you can borrow online, and how to
use it, will serve you well.

As I recall, Madcap Software also has a slew of free online tutorials; know
what Flare (and ancillary products) are.

Explore the free online tool, GIMP. Learn about SnagIt or a similar tool (I
use the free Greenshot).

Most of all, take a good, generic business communications course. Learn how
to write succinctly, using common, easy-to-parse English, to a business
audience. And know about all of style guides in use today
(Chicago Manual of Style, Associated Press, Microsoft Manual of Style, et
al.). Learn to view everything you're tasked to write from *the reader's
perspective*. And learn how to take the original verbiage, often written
by engineers (no offense, anyone) and rewrite it (see *common,
easy-to-parse English*). Read grammar books, such as those by Steven Pinker.

> Chris