Re: Future Tech Writer with Software Questions

Subject: Re: Future Tech Writer with Software Questions
From: "Elisa R. Sawyer" <elisawyer -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Craig Lashley <clashley -at- mail -dot- usf -dot- edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2015 13:35:41 -0700

I have worked for many years as a contractor.

Here are licenses that I maintain:

- Adobe Acrobat Professional
- oXygen XML Editor (they have great support for DITA Open Toolkit)
- Sublime Text Editor (you can use it for free, but it's good so I want to
support the effort)
- MS Office for Mac
- Omnigraffle
- Final Draft (one of my hobbies is writing drama)

In the past I did maintain a license for Frame but for several years I have
worked in DITA and also Sphinx-doc (a python-based Web publisher that can
be confugured to output to Latex-pdf, and for which plug-ins are available
for other output.

-Elisa

On Thu, Jun 25, 2015 at 4:20 PM, Craig Lashley <clashley -at- mail -dot- usf -dot- edu>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently in school for Technical Communication and will be graduating
> next Spring. I've been trying to determine what types of software would be
> best to purchase while I can still get a student discount. I saw a post
> about Adobe Tech Comm Suite a few days ago. I also see Frame Maker and Dita
> a lot white doing tech comm searches. Are these worth buying as an
> individual? I've been told several times to learn HTML. I have a basic
> understanding for coding such as Java and C++. Is there a legit way to get
> certified HTML to show a future employer? I've done many walk through
> tutorials on Youtube, and have a basic concept and understanding of HTML. I
> feel for a future job having some sort of tangible documentation proving
> that would benefit me. Are there other certifications outside of a college
> degree I should look into? There appears to be a large amount of webpages
> saying they offer certificates, but which ones actually carry weight? I am
> working on determining what I could be doing outside of going to class to
> help me really have an upper hand as far as employment in technical
> writing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
> Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) |
> http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as elisawyer -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Elisa Rood Sawyer
Technical and Creative Writer
"Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today." Mark Twain
Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW