Re: Inland Empire interview attire

Subject: Re: Inland Empire interview attire
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2015 08:55:38 -0700

As always, know your audience. And one way to do that is to peruse the profiles on LinkedIn for the company. No, people's photos aren't particularly likely to show them in their office attire. But you can still get the trend of the predominant age of employees (generalizing here, but the younger the workforce, likely the more casual), whether their pics show them in office or outdoor/personal settings, and the like.

Inland Empire is certainly different from the San Francisco dot.com scene, the San Francisco Financial District scene, the mid-West, and so on. But in San Francisco, I'd never show up in an outfit that's guaranteed to make my likely young-ish interviewers feel like they're interviewing their grandparents. I'm not looking to fit in with the club clothes-clad or ready-for-the-hiking-trail workers who don't differentiate work attire from other parts of their life. But I also don't want to be such a glaring standout that our age difference is exaggerated.

As well, gender certainly plays a role. For non-management jobs, women just don't wear suits or formal office attire. I've not worn women's-suits-that-look-like-men's (a la the "women's dress for success" phase of the '80s) in many a decade. As well, I moved from Pittsburgh, PA to the SF Bay Area in the '90s, so my preference for more comfortable outfits, especially shoes (!), is sure a better fit where I am now.

(And I love the ridiculous concept of "dress jeans", which allow me to wear comfortable shoes. I simply pair this with a nice blouse or shell/sweater combo, and I look quite formal across the interview table, but easily fit in with the extreme casualness of the engineers with whom I work.)
Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW