Re: What comes after Appendix Z

Subject: Re: What comes after Appendix Z
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: "Tech Writers" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 20:24:34 -0400

Wow, ask a dozen writers a question, get two dozen answers if the thread
goes long enough.

Like some have said, you have to tell them the right way. It is kind of an
obligation as the "expert" in the room. However, as the "paying customer"
they don't have to take the right way and they can fully dictate you do it
the wrong way (or rather, their "right" way).

As to numbers, letters, and all, I think there is enough to show that A, B,
C, ... X, Y, Z, AA, AB, AC, ...AZ, BA, BB, BC, ... is the "rightest" way but
almost any of these ways suggested would work.

Like Gene, I'm surprised if they are into this enough to stipulate the
number of appendices then why don't they have a numbering convention to use?

I was at one place the appendix numbering went A, A1, A2, A3, B, B1, B2, C,
C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, D, D1, D2, E, F, G, G1, G2, and so on.I think IBM also
had something like that in some of their early DOS based programming
documents. It seemed that Appendix A was a group and the A1, A2, A3 were
appendices that fell under that group. App B was another group. It made sense
when you thought of the content, but simply looking at the heading
numbering, it was strange.

Learn more about Adobe Technical Communication Suite (2015 Release) | http://bit.ly/1FR7zNW