Re: Post about a creative writer who went into tech writing for a spell

Subject: Re: Post about a creative writer who went into tech writing for a spell
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TechWhirl (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2015 13:24:26 -0700

I had a head start on knowing about it, my father being an engineer. But when I looked into the field, I was told by some on-campus industry recruiters that they liked their writers to be people with technical backgrounds who had spent some time working in tech fields before becoming writers (this was back in the late 60's). So I got my BSME and went to work as an engineer.

I was a fairly decent engineer, got reasonable raises and advancement, but 15 years later was still an engineer - and was doing most of the documentation in the R&D groups I was working in. So when the aerospace boom ended, I finally got round to becoming a writer in the semiconductor industry, and within a year I was a tech pubs manager. Probably shouldn't have waited that long to make the transition.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 10/23/2015 12:34 PM, Lin Sims wrote:

I didn't even know there was such a thing as tech writing until my final year in college.