Re: Need advanced DIR list

Subject: Re: Need advanced DIR list
From: "Stuart Burnfield" <slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "Techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2015 11:11:25 +0800

PowerShell is the .NET-based command shell and scripting language
included in Windows versions since XP SP2. To my ageing eyes it looks
like a sincere 21st Century attempt by Microsoft to emulate the
richness, power and flexibility of the UNIX shell environment and
utilities and the Software Tools philosophy.

It's probably vast overkill for Chris to learn this just to solve his
immediate DIR filtering need. But longer term, PowerShell looks like
an excellent tool for creative TWs who want to do more than what
Windows gives them out of the box. It does what Cygwin does but you
shouldn't need anyone's approval to install it.

Download the Quick Reference card:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=7097

--- Stuart, who thinks that Ken Thompson, Dennis Ritchie and Brian
Kernighan should get the Nobel Prize for Practical Awesomeness

Chris Morton wrote:

ÂÂÂ On aWin7 box, I need to create a list of docs within a very
extensive
ÂÂÂ foldersubfolder hierarchy.

ÂÂÂ I need the subfolder location, filename and timestamp, but
nothing else.

ÂÂÂ At a CMD prompt, I know how to redirect a DIR /S to a TXT file.

ÂÂÂ Can I maybe pipe the command through a FILTER on its way to the
TXT file?

Peter Neilson replied:

ÂÂÂ Being a Unix person since too many years ago, I make sure that
any
  Windows box I use has Cygwin installed if at all possible.
Cygwin gives
  one the feeling of a Unix shell, so I can simply use the ls
command
ÂÂÂ and (if necessary) pipe the result through sed, awk, grep, or
whatever.

ÂÂÂ This method fails if (1) you don't know anything about Unix or
Linux, or
  (2) you are not allowed to install Cygwin.