Content Delivery

Subject: Content Delivery
From: "Stuckey, Ginger" <X2BVSHEW -at- SOUTHERNCO -dot- COM>
To: "TechWR-L (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 16:54:09 +0000

Hi All,

My company is about to go through a major software shift away from traditional engineering software to a new software with a new way of thinking. I am working on the documentation plan including help, requirements, configuration, and learning. I've just found Electronic Performance Support Systems (EPSS) for learning but, in my opinion, it sounds a bit like help delivered a different way.

So far, all I've read-which isn't as much as I would like-leaves me with questions about the nuts and bolts. I've read that it can take the place of formal training and it covers everything a user needs to know including business processes and context information when the user wants it. All of that sounds great. What I haven't found is how do you plan it, how do you identify what to include, what do you use to deliver it?

In addition, I'm trying to think differently about content delivery and maintenance. Some of the content will be written traditionally in a word processor like the requirements, however, there are many ways to deliver help content (wiki, knowledge base, help system, books, video) and learning (books, video, instructor-led, EPSS, hybrids).

If possible, I would like to hear anecdotes about what did and did not work. My tech pubs group will be sitting in on all training, requirements, and configuration sessions and we will be developing the content concurrently. We are a small department with a big job so planning is key as well as setting expectations.

I just wanted to hear from you all what worked, what didn't, and different ideas. Thanks in advance and feel free to ask questions.

Ginger Stuckey
Technical Publications - Design

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
--Unknown