Re: Tech Writer Conractor - no payment

Subject: Re: Tech Writer Conractor - no payment
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2016 14:31:25 -0800

California protects employees. It takes a lot of work for an employer to take away an employee's labor rights. Employers do sometimes try to trick employees into thinking that being a "contractor" means you do not have employee rights. Unless you are a fully incorporated business, then you are probably an employee.

Go to the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement website and learn your rights and how to file a claim. http://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/

If you are still working, your employer may have time pay you. If you are not working, then your employer is supposed to pay you on the last day you worked if they ended the contract. I think they have something like within 72 hours to pay you if you ended the contract. Check with the DLSE on that.

Read the information at the site I linked. Penalties your employer will need to pay if it is found liable are a day's pay for every calendar day that you are not paid after they were supposed to give your final check. Learn your rights. http://www.dir.ca.gov/DLSE/Know_Your_Rights.html

Good luck!
Lauren

On 3/2/2016 2:16 PM, bobsc1 wrote:

I'm in Calif. And yes it is the company that hired me as a contractor not the company I did the work for. Wasn't sure if I could go the labor board because I am a contractor. And do know the state senator representative who world happy to take interest this.
Thanks for the help and I will continue to see other suggestions as they are posted.
Robert Courtney