Re: Configuration Guides

Subject: Re: Configuration Guides
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2016 14:31:02 -0500

Might be good for people to know how to capture the current configuration
before they go messing with things, so that if they make an incorrect
change they have a way to get back to the previous state.

My own experience in configuring systems has often had me scratching my
head on how know the correct value for a configurable parameter. I worry I'll hear those sickening words, "Cripers, you didn't set the Reflabulation Level to 3, did you? What an IDIOT!" Configuration usually contains such traps, and they should appear on the front page in blinking orange flames, as well as in the step-by-step section.

On Thu, 03 Mar 2016 13:47:34 -0500, Stuckey, Ginger
<X2BVSHEW -at- southernco -dot- com> wrote:

Hi All,

The company I work for is going through a huge software change. After much noise-making, the tech writers are involved in all training, requirements gather, and configuration sessions. For various reasons, we are not sure what kind of we will create. One thing we do know is the project manager absolutely needs configuration guides because there is some customization required. Installation guides are separate so this is only configuration.
The following list is what I think should go into the guide, not including scope and stuff like that.

* Description of configured item.

* Affected databases.

* How to configure the item. (Even if it is in an Admin module?)

* List of configured data or link to a document if the list is long.

Should configuration change management be included?
What am I leaving out of this document?