Re: Client access to edit Help

Subject: Re: Client access to edit Help
From: Suzette Leeming <suzette -dot- leeming -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 08:09:37 -0400

I've been using an authoring tool called Help and Manual from EC Software,
and single sourcing the in-browser help files and the PDF manuals; it's
worked well for us. I looked at whether or not to switch to DITA, and was
often told our company and documentation needs were too small for a DITA
solution, which is preferred in larger organizations. Hence, I know very
little about DITA. While we're currently able to add more topics to the
help file, there isn't a way for our clients to compile the files to
include their new topics in the TOC or index.

We don't compress our help files themselves; each topic is an html file.
The best we're able to do is edit a topic to include a link to an external
file. The product you're describing sounds like what we need. I've
suggested the alternative of having our client purchase our help authoring
software and we'll give them our source files. We never identified the need
for localization. Customization, yes, but not localization.

Our help files are completely separate from our product - they sit in a
separate directory and launch when help is called from within a module.