RE: Word 2013 is Levitating Inline Graphics Created in

Subject: RE: Word 2013 is Levitating Inline Graphics Created in
From: Kevin Ryan <kevin -dot- ryan -at- systemsandsoftware -dot- net>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 12:54:48 +0000

Thanks, Keith and Margaret for your feedback regarding my "levitating" inline graphics.

* "Move with text" is selected, and the offending inline graphics do indeed stay put as the paragraph moves. It's just that the elevated graphic always displays way too high (literally one complete line height too high).

* Keith's suggestion to try moving such graphics to the end of the line did not show an improvement, but led me to observe something else really strange about this problem. It is paragraph specific. If I drag/drop/copy the high graphic within the same paragraph, it remains a high graphic. If I move it to another paragraph, it displays correctly! If I then move it back to the offending paragraph, it becomes high again! There is no observable difference between the paragraph style settings of any of these good and bad paragraphs.

* It is the first paragraph on the page that has the problem. If I place the cursor before the first sentence of an affected paragraph and press Return, that paragraph becomes the second paragraph on the page and the graphic de-levitates to its normal vertical position.

* I've observed that the majority of my inline graphics behave well. As long as they are not the first paragraph on the page!

* Thanks for suggesting the Image-placement Font style, Margaret.

I guess I've learned to scrutinize this stuff more closely and to be thankful that the DOC versions seem immune to the problem.

Kevin