Re: Developments in the review cycle

Subject: Re: Developments in the review cycle
From: Ryan Young <ryangyoung -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Steve Hudson <sh1448291904 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2016 12:58:36 -0700

We've started using pull requests in Git for our reviews (our source is
Markdown). Like Confluence, everyone can see each other's comments and you
can have a conversation thread. It works especially well for revisions
because you can see exactly what changed. It hasn't been that long, but
I've begun to prefer it to Confluence because it limits comments to the
review period. While the continuous feedback is nice, I find it difficult
to properly deal with many different disparate comments on a "finished" doc
while I'm working on the next thing.

We assign reviews in JIRA to keep track and try to break up the reviews in
small-ish chunks so as not to overload reviewers.

I greatly prefer this process to the old one where I'd send out a PDF to a
bunch of people, parse their comments (which were sometimes in the PDF,
sometimes not), update the source, send out another revision, and so on.