Re: HTML5, Phones, and Tables

Subject: Re: HTML5, Phones, and Tables
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Technical Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 10:21:58 -0400

>> âand the results of a lot of those kind of searches are presented asâ
tables.

> Or lists. Or paragraphs. Or a series of cards.

Ugh. Could we steer the conversation away from travel schedules and back
towards something that technical writers might be trying to document on a
mobile help system vs information that programmers would be displaying in
the user interface? Because I don't know about anyone else on this group,
but apparently I'm still living in the dark ages where my documentation
content isn't generated on the fly. I've never worked anywhere with a CMS
and the engineering resources to take my content (structured or
unstructured) and generate different outputs based on user requests/needs.
Instead I've been single-sourcing (usually with Flare)
and generating content that is checked into the build and shipped with the
release. I think most of us at small to mid-size businesses are probably
in that boat.

Having said that, I would hate to have to try to read through paragraphs of
system settings. One of the reasons why I usually choose to put data in a
table is because it's easier to scan a table to find the information
(settings, options, permissions, etc.) than to wade through a wall of text
for the same information.

I'm not sure that individual lists of permissions for each group or role is
a better way to display data than in a table. Trying to think of other
examples where I've had big ugly tables that would be hard to convert for
mobile viewing....

I'm curious to know more about cards, I'm thinking something that looks
like a baseball card (lotta information crammed into a small space) or a
business card? Is that the sort of thing you mean by "cards"?

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 9:09 AM, <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com> wrote:

> > âand the results of a lot of those kind of searches are presented asâ
> tables.
>
> Or lists. Or paragraphs. Or a series of cards.

> Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and
> content development | http://techwhirl.com

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Julie Stickler