Re: HTML5, Phones, and Tables

Subject: Re: HTML5, Phones, and Tables
From: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2016 15:38:58 -0400

>Gotta keep up with the times... linear, book-form documentation is
becoming obsolete. So I agree with mbaker; we need to rethink all the
old-school conventions that we're used to.

Becoming obsolete? When I trained as a technical writer 15 years ago we
were taught to chunk information into small pieces that could be used to
single-source docs and Help from the same source. "Every page is page one"
has been how I approached writing documentation since 2001. Is anyone
even writing book-form, linear documentation anymore? (I know the answer,
that was a rhetorical question....)

I've been at four or five different jobs in the past 10 years that were
working on developing some flavor of mobile apps. Each time that led to
investigating options for how to format and present online Help for a small
screen. But I have yet to actually have a mobile help project go live.
Either there were some sort of problems and the app was killed, or I've
left the company before the mobile version of the product launched.

You can condition out graphics to not appear in your mobile help. Flare
lets you display thumbnails of your graphics. But I've never yet solved
the problem of what to do about tables in mobile content.

Julie Stickler