Re: HTML5, Phones, and Tables

Subject: Re: HTML5, Phones, and Tables
From: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2016 11:51:42 -0500

Chris, couldn't open one of your links, one other worked fine.

RE " You never get a glimpse at the underlying paradigm, so you never know
what you can and cannot do, or why."

I get that, and your comment about the trees etc. taking you to points
unknown. But I'm not sure you can lay that completely to UX; I've seen
innumerable instances of the end product being determined by the
owner/company/system/policy, rather than anyone with common sense, such as
a designer or writer.

There's always an issue with no being able to look into things more
deeply--I agree with you totally on that. OTOH, it's possible some of it's
proprietary info or could be, which everyone wants to hide. And I'm not
likely to be able to understand some of it anyway, so although I might be
annoyed at the fact, it's not something I'd be very hot about.

[Except a similar type of situation: government acts/bills etc. Our info
about them is extremely limited unless we want to dig, and I'm as lazy as
most people. But it's clear that there's a lot in them that isn't talked
about.]

Funny thing though, I can remember a time when I found the top layering to
be extremely annoying, back when I converted from a Unix system to
Microsoft and Apple ones. So I sympathize and agree that there are probably
times when it would be better to have more info available.

Re your original query about tables etc., I haven't any other suggestions.

Good topic!

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Chris Despopoulos <
despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Some examples of things -- Found on the Flare Customer Showcase:
> Here's a mobile help system that uses tables, even in places I believe are
> not necessary.
> http://mobilecenter.hpe.com/Content/Resources/_TopNav/_TopNav_Home.htmhttp://mobilecenter.hpe.com/Content/My_Product_Matrix.htmhttp://mobilecenter.hpe.com/Content/NV_define_profiles.htm
> I believe this is supposed to be multi-channel -- including phones. The
> last link opens a table that simply doesn't fit on a phone.
>

> Here's an interesting example of a list that is compatible with fat
> fingers:
> http://help.imis.com/Q42015/Implementation/Installation_Guide/Installing_iMIS.htm
>
> Another example -- I don't like the initial page... The TeleTubby look
> (see below). But that's just me.http://help.imis.com/Q42015/
> This page has a tree of expandable sections built onto the page. No tree
> in the TOC, but you expand nested sections to read the whole thing. Yes,
> this shortens the page. A lot of people in our group complain that expando
> sections make in-page search useless.
>
> http://help.imis.com/Q42015/Implementation/Administration/Data_transfer_utilities.htm
>
> Another example of a help system. Can anybody tell me where it tells you
> what the product actually is? Do you think that information belongs in Help?
> https://help.incontact.com/16.1/Content/Home.htm
>

> Examples of UX resulting in a dumbing down:* The MS Word Ribbon.
> * Just about iAnything (ok, I'm sounding like a curmudgeon). You never
> get a glimpse at the underlying paradigm, so you never know what you can
> and cannot do, or why.
> I'm looking for some of those web sites/products that I have found
> offending in the past, and of course I can't find them. I'm thinking of
> GUIs that try to guess your path through the information or the product,
> but don't give you a way to choose your own path. Everything is driven by
> questions, for example... "How do I X?", and "How do I Y?" -- and these
> lead into wizard-like paths that you're bound to follow. Commonly these
> have big TeleTubby-looking buttons.
>

> Again, I'm not saying all UX results in this. But it is a trend -- maybe
> a trend that's already falling away?

> Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and
> content development | http://techwhirl.com

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Kathleen MacDowell
kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com