RE: Another maddening RoboHelp problem

Subject: RE: Another maddening RoboHelp problem
From: "Wright, Lynne" <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- Kronos -dot- com>
To: Keith Hood <bus -dot- write -at- gmail -dot- com>, techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2016 13:39:19 +0000

If the map IDs you have assigned to your topics match the IDs that are embedded in the code for each module, it should work. So if you generated a new set of Map IDs, that's probably the problem. You would have to get the existing map IDs from a programmer, and modify your IDs in Robohelp; and supply them with any new map IDs for topics that you added since the last version.

OR....

I once had a situation where I created an updated .chm file, in which I retained the existing map IDs and just added new ones for new topics, but when I copied the .chm onto the test lab machine, context-sensitive help did not work. Turns out the problem was that I'd changed the name of the .chm file; when I changed the name back to match that of the previous version, it worked.

BTW I totally get your frustration with the lousy RH help (ironically, its really terrible); and how posts on user's forums presume that you're already at an expert-user level/have enough of a knowledge base to understand what they're talking about -- you'd think that posts from tech writers would explain things simply and clearly so anybody could understand, but nooooo......