Re: Steve Hudson digs his hole deeper [was: Re: Sickening stuff from Engineers]

Subject: Re: Steve Hudson digs his hole deeper [was: Re: Sickening stuff from Engineers]
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2016 13:29:14 -0700

Consider the audience and purpose of the piece. Wichary, a typographer
and designer (not an engineer) is telling people who lay out type
using CSS as part of their jobs about technical aspects of font design
that they might not have learned.

I've been laying out type for almost 50 years using CSS, before that
proprietary controls in various page layout applications, before that
with phototypesetting machines, and before that using dry transfer
lettering and I can't remember what other crude tools we used circa
1967. Wichary explained a lot of things that I had noticed, not
understood, and did not know how to fix in any systematic way.

If you didn't find it interesting, maybe you haven't spent much time
trying to make type look less bad on a page or in a browser through
trial and error. I expect I'll be referring to that piece now and then
for the rest of my career.