RE: Transferable skills of a Tech Writer

Subject: RE: Transferable skills of a Tech Writer
From: Slager Timothy J <Timothy -dot- Slager -at- dematic -dot- com>
To: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2016 12:24:46 +0000

> Now let's assume that the VP has a problem that has nothing to do with documentation

You got an ingrown toenail? see a doctor. Your roof leaks? hire a contractor. Your wife hollers at you and your kids are all freaks? write Dear Abby.

As tech writers, we should be able to communicate well. All sorts of things. On the rest, our skills vary. I could probably fix the VP's roof, but not the toenail. Robert can script builds; I can't. Other TCs can do other stuff. But we have no business selling ourselves as being able to do all sorts of things that we weren't trained, or don't have the experience, to do. Do I think I could do lots of those things? Sure, and I have done some. But I'll stick to the knitting--while having a broad interest lots of other things, some of which the VP might even be concerned about.

To some extent, I find this an odd question. The answer, if honest, should be very different for each of us. And, frankly, if they'll let me, I'd rather write.

tims