Re: Interesting Article on Pay and Hiring

Subject: Re: Interesting Article on Pay and Hiring
From: Robert Courtney <bobsc1 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- TECHWR-L -dot- COM
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2016 23:53:04 -0700

I have picked a bit up from this thread. I recently retired from the rate race. I got tired of being told I was not qualified for the job. It became clear that being 60+ was not something they wanted to deal with. And, I could do their job with no problem. Except for one company that wanted someone to write scripts, debug them, debug others scripts and write documentation on how to interface their system with another system. You actually needed to be a math major, understand various algorithms, and then write their documentation. I had a colleague apply to the same company. And they keep me waiting for over an hour. And she had to reschedule her interview because they left her waiting 2 hours and couldn't make the meeting. Leave it to say, she wasn't impressed. And they felt she wasn't qualified. I have no idea why they even put out the job specs.

From what I hear, things are better. Keep plugging away. Just don't let them take you down either. Good luck and I hope the best.

As for me, I sleep in. Take care of my dog. And talk with my financial analyst how best to go forward in my retirement.

Bob

day." (Sy Safransky)