Recommendations on Drawing Programs?

Subject: Recommendations on Drawing Programs?
From: Jim <jameswitkin -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2016 13:29:42 -0700

Hello, I'm writing a user guide for a software program. Most of the
graphics are screen captures of the software interface. I need to add
simple graphics to the screen captures like numbers and arrows. The numbers
will correspond to the number of the step in the instructions. The arrows
will point to button or other drop down list referenced in the instruction.
I'm using Microsoft Word (ugh) to create the document. I know Word has some
basic graphics capabilities but I want each image to be a single jpeg which
includes the screen capture, numbers and arrows. This way I know the screen
image, numbers, arrows will always stay together in case the pagination
changes and I can copy these images to use in other docs and presentations.
Any suggestions on a good, simple drawing program that would work?