Re: It doesn't look good for Tina the Tech Writer

Subject: Re: It doesn't look good for Tina the Tech Writer
From: Emoto <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2016 15:36:50 -0400

On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 3:16 PM, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

> Oh, could still happen. If she's willing to work for half the money she
was getting before and with no benefits.

Just as a data point, almost 2.5 years ago, the large company where I had
been a tech writer for 10+ years, decided to lay me off and hand my job to
my assistant in Bangalore, whose skill level was "change 123 Main st. to
124 Main St." LOL. I felt bad for him.

At any rate, within a few weeks, I began doing contract tech writing. Even
considering the benefits loss, I was making more as a contractor. This
continued for several contract extensions, until the project was done.
Then, a couple of weeks later, I noticed another contract open up at the
same firm (an enormous medical device maker) so I interviewed and got that,
partially because of my quality of work during the last contract there,
even though it was for a different group.

A month and a half ago, they brought me on as a full-time employee. My
salary is a fair bit more than at the last full-time gig, and the benefits
I now have are really good.

I'm 59. So... take heart; it can happen. I know Gene is just joking around,
but I thought a positive story couldn't hurt.

I would also encourage people who might be chafing at the demands of doing
software documentation to give consideration to the healthcare field. I am
very happy to have left Financial Services behind. FDA regulatory
implications make for a more reasonable daily work pace than is typical in
my old world of software development.

Bob