Re: Interesting job description

Subject: Re: Interesting job description
From: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2016 21:27:53 -0500

#1 I agree with Keith's take on your comments
#2 Isn't this what the Tina comment was about?
Your comments:

Jobs exist to solve the problems of companies. The more of the companyâs
problems you solve, the more valuable you are to the company and the more
money you get. If that creates a caste system, so be it. It is a caste
system based on the ability of each caste to contribute to the bottom line.
If a tech writer can produce adequate documentation while minimizing the
amount of time they take from the engineers, the greater their contribution
to the bottom line, the more of the companyâs problems they solve, and more
money they get paid. If you want more money and more respect, ask for less
and contribute more.

My comments:

Perhaps in some lala land, otherwise, in reality, completely untrue: e.g.,
Tina and peoples' experience. For a more concrete example, how does
anyone's pay compare to the CEO, regardless of how many hours they spend in
crunch time contributing to the bottom line, including programmers and
writers, and who knows who else. Please

On Fri, Oct 7, 2016 at 5:34 PM, <mbaker -at- analecta -dot- com> wrote:

> It isnât about what problems the tech writer has. It is about what
> problems the organization has and what the tech writer can do to help
> alleviate those problems. A tech company has three problems that are
> relevant to this discussion.
>

> * Time to market is critical. The window of opportunity for a new
> product or an upgrade to an old one is small and every day your product is
> not in the market people are buying your competitorâs product or moving on
> to the next tech revolution. Time to market is money in the bank. In many
> cases, time to market is survival. Ask Blackberry.
>
> * Engineering is a constrained resource. It is hard to get the
> engineers you need and it is important to minimize the time they spend
> doing non-engineering tasks. Since adding more engineers to a project is
> both expensive and of limited value beyond a certain point, keeping them
> focused on engineering is critical to time to market.
>
> * They need adequate docs.
>

> Jobs exist to solve the problems of companies. The more of the companyâs
> problems you solve, the more valuable you are to the company and the more
> money you get. If that creates a caste system, so be it. It is a caste
> system based on the ability of each caste to contribute to the bottom line.
> If a tech writer can produce adequate documentation while minimizing the
> amount of time they take from the engineers, the greater their contribution
> to the bottom line, the more of the companyâs problems they solve, and more
> money they get paid. If you want more money and more respect, ask for less
> and contribute more.
>

> This, after all, is standard job hunting advice. Find a problem the
> company has. Show them how you can fix it. The more you talk about fixing
> the companyâs problems, and the less you talk about asking the company to
> fix your problems, the more valuable you will be.
>

> That does not mean you donât negotiate for resources. But you make your
> case for resources in terms of solving the companyâs problems, not in terms
> of solving your own.
>

> Mark

Kathleen MacDowell
kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com