Re: iPhone browser change?

Subject: Re: iPhone browser change?
From: Kathleen MacDowell <kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2016 12:56:56 -0600

I used Firefox for quite a while, but about a year ago it started bombing
all the time. I put up with it through several updates and finally gave up.
No patience me. Switched to Chrome. Yes, Google can be creepy, but I'm not
sure what else we're going to do--not sure IE is any better. Funny, I never
had much luck with Duck Duck either. Maybe because I use a gmail account?
At any rate, I gave up Facebook several years ago, so one less tracker.

Paranoid? Oh well...

Kathleen

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 10:47 AM, Ken Poshedly <poshedly -at- bellsouth -dot- net>
wrote:

> Gang, while not directly "tech writing" oriented, it _can_ be. So here
> goes . . .
>
> Just like I decided a long time ago to use Mozilla Firefox on both my
> desktop and laptop platforms, I'm now considering making the switch and
> using Firefox on my iPhone 6S Plus for online searches instead of Apple
> Safari.
>
> Regarding my desktop platform, I found out the hard way some years ago
> that Internet Explorer worked like molasses (I could practically go out and
> wash the car and return before it would move from one online site or page
> to another), so I moved on to Google Chrome. Yes, IE (and its new Windows
> 10 iteration) are much faster, but they're still just Microsoft data mining
> operations.
>
> But then found out from a Google engineer here in Atlanta about the hourly
> algorithm-change that Google uses to scan every email and all online clicks
> to gather online histories and better sell itself to advertisers. That
> engineer recommended Firefox. I even saw it demonstrated a few years ago on
> an ABC Evening News segment. It's just downright scary and spooky to see
> how the friendly folks at Google are so good at stalking. (One ABC news
> staffer used his gmail account to email another staffer to suggest dinner
> at a local Italian restaurant, and within minutes, all the pop-up ads were
> for Italian restaurants.)
>
> No, I'm not a paranoid, and while I know that online anonymity can never
> be achieved, anything I can do to minimize my online presence to marketeers
> is what I want to do. (I also use Duck Duck Go as my search engine.)
>
> Is anyone else on this list using Firefox instead of the default cell
> phone browser and if so, what advantages/disadvantages are there?
> -- Ken in Atlanta(Sshhh, don't tell!)

> Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and
> content development | http://techwhirl.com

> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> info.

> magazine at http://techwhirl.com

Kathleen MacDowell
kathleen -dot- eamd -at- gmail -dot- com