Re: IBM is having a Yahoo moment: No more working from home

Subject: Re: IBM is having a Yahoo moment: No more working from home
From: Charlotte Branth Claussen <charlotteclaussen -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 09:01:38 +0000

Glad you like it, Steve.

I sure did like the physical work environment there. We did admittedly have
a problem with one person taking all his phone calls from his desk, being
very loud. But that was in my opinion a question of office etiquette, as he
could have lowered his voice or gone to another area. I only sat near that
guy for a short while before I left the company, and haven't asked my
former colleagues about the matter, but I'll assume they had a chat with
him.

As both Stuart and Sharon say, being seen really helps on productivity when
you depend on others whose work doesn't get entirely blocked without your
input. I've never seen unwillingness among developers to collaborate or to
keep me informed; it's just they're not reminded if you're not seen, and if
they're not blocked from continuing their work. Also, they're not trained
to know what you need, so they may leave out details they find irrelevant
for you.This is where what you might overhear comes in handy.

In my current office, I have to be more proactive because my desk has been
moved out of sight to the other end of the floor, past the lunch area and
the lifts.

When it comes to being disturbed, I find that no walls can protect you from
instant messaging and emails that come with the expectations of you being
available and responsive all the time. Colleagues who can see you will
typically get that you won't be likely to want to talk if they've seen you
in a discussion for the last half an hour.

/Charlotte