Re: HyperDrive Thunderbolt 3 USB-C Hub for new MacBook Pros ?

Subject: Re: HyperDrive Thunderbolt 3 USB-C Hub for new MacBook Pros ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "Robert Lauriston" <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>, "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 16:00:57 -0800

Excellent advice about the 3-pack to handle my regular peripherals. Now to figure out how to get an adapter from USB-C (thunderbolt 3) to a plug for my 30" Dell U3011 monitor, at max. resolution (2560x1600).

I found this one, https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Thunderbolt-Compatible-Adapter/dp/B012B58JRM, but it gives a warning that it "uses DisplayPort Alternate mode to convert the signal to DVI. Older displays such as the Apple 30-inch Cinema Display may require a true DVI-Dual Link signal and not support the maximum video resolution."

After 40+ minutes of waiting/being transferred at Dell Support, I did find someone who said that this adapter would work, but he didn't seem knowledgeable enough to give me great confidence in the answer.

So maybe USB-C to HDMI would be the answer, but all I find by googling are "HDMI 4K" adapters. But then I find articles that say that there's no difference in terms of which cable you need. So are the two HDMI connectors the same, and the only difference is speed/throughput (similar to how different USB ports are physically the same, but older/slower ports can't support newer devices)?

<rhetorical question>And why, why, is it so hard to figure out how to connect a laptop and peripherals?!<\rhetorical question>