Re: Tech writer career path

Subject: Re: Tech writer career path
From: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: Monique Semp <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>, TechWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 11:06:25 -0700

I suspect that the common mantra that many tech writers espouse - that technical writing itself is a profession and that heavy subject matter domain experience is not essential to success in that profession - may be the very thing that locks them into a path where publications manager is the top of the pyramid.

Tech writers who have domain knowledge can potentially transition to other management roles. I've been offered management opportunities in customer support, field service and product testing. However, all these came across my path after I had spent time as a publications manager, and I had experience as an engineer in all of them prior to becoming a writer.

So it may be that you have to advance from technical writing to a publications management role so that you can add writing and management experience to whatever prior domain knowledge you have.

Gene Kim-Eng

On 3/31/2017 10:24 AM, Monique Semp wrote:

But... I don't see why it should be any different for a tech writer to advance in a managerial track than it would be for a software developer? Engineers are promoted all the time to positions in which they'll be focusing on "manager things", not on the senior/design/architect tasks of a Principal Engineer. And likewise for a typical engineer-to-product shift.