Windows Live Mail replacement ?

Subject: Windows Live Mail replacement ?
From: "Monique Semp" <monique -dot- semp -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TechWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 09:40:44 -0700

Hello, WR-L-ers,

Quick questions:

1. Whatâs a good client replacement for Windows Live Mail that enables importing years of messages and many contacts?

2. Whatâs a good machine to get for non-tech-savvy Mom, who doesnât need much more than email, internet, and a way to manage scanning her vast collection of photos and the occasional print article. I do need to be able to connect remotely, so just an iPad wonât do it. (Sheâll be migrating from DSL to FiOS very shortly, which is my opportunity to get her updated from her Vista machine.)

Details:

Well, as with any new machine setup, the unintended consequence is that old and trusty programs sometimes must be retired. It seems that Microsoft is not only not supporting Windows Live Mail, itâs now impossible to install it on a new system even if you have the original setup exe/installer. (It apparently queries the live Microsoft site for a .cab file that is no longer available.)

1. So, what to use to replace Windows Live Mail?

I donât want to use the Windows 10 Mail â from what Iâve read itâs just another excuse for ads. It looks like itâs not too much of a burden to import all the messages/contacts into Outlook, but I really wanted to keep totally separate address books/etc. for my business/client work (for which Iâve used Outlook for many years), and my social/tech writing communications (for which Iâve years and years of Windows Live Mail archives, including for TechWR-L).

As well, Iâm looking not only for myself, but for the as-yet=to-be-determined new system for my Mom. Iâve finally convinced her to buy a new machine because Iâm too annoyed with her verrrry slow Vista machine, to which I have to connect remotely to help her out. Iâd given her Windows Live Mail so that it would be an unchanging UI (ISPâs webmail interfaces change pretty often, which totally confuses her). Outlook is pretty complicated for her with far too many options.

Any email client suggestions for her new Windows 10 machine? Well, Iâm likely to get a Win 10 machine, I assume, if I just buy a basic one at Staples or Best Buy.

2. But maybe thereâs something totally different form a regular PC to consider for her given that all she really needs is email, internet, and a way to manage scanning her vast collection of photos and the occasional print article.

Thanks very much,
-Monique