RE: Technical Writing on the High Seas

Subject: RE: Technical Writing on the High Seas
From: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- hologic -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>, "TechWhirl (techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com)" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 17:46:11 +0000

Thanks for posting, great stuff.

Worked on the Ford program for a couple of years, a few years ago. Documentation for the aircraft launch and recovery systems.

Govt. "sequestration" (continuing resolution, CR) of that time shut the program down for about a year. When it came back up, Navy expected no loss of progress on the schedule (but the company hadn't been paid in that time -- it was a rough time).

Anyway... great systems, very complex, the launch was more complex than the recovery system, as I recall. We watched the progress of the ship as it was being built. CVN 78. The blueprints on these things were incredible. Massive, massive thing. It's amazing you can get something that huge and that complicated to work at all. You think a car is complex.

It's going to be an amazing ship when it's fully operational, and the whole class of carriers is going to be awesome. No more steam-powered stuff, which I think was around since WWII. With the new EMALS, I think it's able to launch planes all day long, every 30 seconds or one minute or something. Very little wear and tear.

What a monstrous thing! So cool to see it getting ready to go live.

Steve

On Friday, July 21, 2017 4:45 AM, Craig Cardimon wrote:

http://www.businessinsider.com/sailors-on-gerald-ford-aircraft-carrier-learning-to-operate-on-the-job-2017-7

~Craig Cardimon