Re: Context sensitive pop-ups

Subject: Re: Context sensitive pop-ups
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2017 10:54:40 -0700

When it's useful to have a CSH link for a field, option, or other UI
element, I use the same help call as for page-level help calls.
Sometimes the target should be an anchor within a topic rather than
the top of the topic.

It can also be helpful to embed a CSH call to the relevant anchor in
the tooltip.

Implementing an in-between CSH call somewhere between a tooltip and
the full online help system seems to me beyond the point of
diminishing returns. If the information the customer wants isn't
there, how many clicks does it take to get to the relevant topic in
the full system?

"One of the pain points for both customers and support is that
frequently information they need is buried in a procedure topic
sometimes as drop-down text."

Lose the collapsed text.

As a user, I've always found drop-down text in help topics a terrible
idea. I can't skim to find the information I need, and in some cases
the search missed hits in collapsed text. What's the user benefit that
offsets that?