Re: Dealing with price resistance?

Subject: Re: Dealing with price resistance?
From: Shari Punyon <sharipunyon -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Wright, Lynne" <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- kronos -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 10:28:24 -0400

I agree with Lynne, there doesn't seem to be much upside to chasing this
client, especially if you are already worried about protecting your rate.

I would simply send back a nice reply, stating that of course you would be
interested in future projects. If you feel so inclined, and think it might
be received well, you could include a gentle suggestion that a longer lead
time would be advisable. But I probably would just forgo that. If you want
to continue to court her, send her a holiday card, or some sort of other
standardized communication to stay in her thoughts.

If you have a better relationship with the project manager, you might want
to also send him a quick email, letting him know that you are sorry not be
working with him on this project, and that you hope to do business with
Blue Supply in the future.

One of four things will happen -
1) They managed to hire someone who has either no idea of their worth, or
someone from India, who can actually write decently, and is willing to do
it for almost no money because of the exchange rate, and the manual is OK
(unlikely)
2) The widget manual is awful, but they don't notice or care, because they
aren't worried about having a good manual, just something to stuff in the
box and check off a list (likely).
3) The widget manual is so bad they realize they need it fixed, and they
contact you to fix it. This might happen immediately, or after customer
complaints, and a huge uptick in calls to customer service to help them
with things that should be in the manual.
4) They choose not to fix the manual, but realize that they need something
better next time, and contact you for that.

If she does contact you, simply provide the same rate as in the past, and
if the deadline is absurd again, choose whether you want to even go after
it, or just say that you are too busy to take on these last minute
assignments, but are willing to discuss something with a longer lead time
in the future.