Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?

Subject: Re: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2017 11:35:17 -0400

*Trouble ahead, trouble behind,*
*And you know this notion...just crossed my mind.*

Greg's points are critical here. If a compromise can be struck in relation
to where the actual files are stored, great.

If not, then I might be inclined to use the SysAdmin as the bad cop,
asserting that Fences only serves as another layer of user insulation that
runs counter to accepted system and file backup procedures.

Yours is a Windows environment. If the new hire doesn't care to fully
understand the OS and its file structure, then I'd question her ability to
be adaptive to the established ways of the company.

I worked at several places in the past where one was simply NOT permitted
to introduce software to one's own system, period. Other places were a bit
more lenient, but I'd need to first seek permission to use such things as
favored utilities the company did not yet know about (but enhanced
productivity).

I don't know what the nOOb will be documenting, but this entire thread
would give me pause regarding whether or not she's an appropriate fit.

I may be a bit hard-nosed about this, but it's already sounding problematic
when the easiest solution is to learn the file system. In this regard, what
is so bloody complicated about understanding folders and subfolders,
drawers and cabinets when related to such physical items in the paper-based
world?

Chris Morton
(click logo â for details)

<http://www.linkedin.com/in/chrismorton>
â Substantive Editing â Technical Writing â Proofreading
â B2B/B2C â Marketing Expertise â Mentoring