RE: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?

Subject: RE: Using "Fences" as File Management Tool?
From: "David Artman" <david -at- davidartman -dot- com>
To: "Emoto" <emoto1 -at- gmail -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 11:45:02 -0700

I'll not participate in the "which file-navigation tool *should* one
use" aspect of this thread. The word "should" is a warning sign....

However, I *will* point out that having working files only on a
local-machine drive (Desktop, C drive, who cares) is a recipe for a
total loss scenario. If you cannot have her map to a network share and
use <whatever> to navigate it and build the folder and file structure
you prefer, then you better have a nightly (or even hourly) backup job
running that syncs the local files onto a flash drive or mirror hard
drive or something!

As a side note, I really abhor using more than a 2-layer folder
structure for working-file management these days; getting all jiggy with
nesting just makes things break down the road; and many modern CMSs
don't even have tree-like file organization. I just go with something
like this:

FILE SHARE ('X' drive):
> "!Templates" folder for universal/corporate templates of all types NOT project-specific
> "<project-name>" folder
>> FM and BOOK files (including at least 1 master BOOK file with all
FM files, for global operations like search & replace)
>> "Resources" or "res" folder
>>> Image files (including working files like PSD, AI, and VSDX,
with a common naming convention for exported PNG, JPG, SVG)
>>> Text insets
>>> Project-specific template files (e.g., variable-management
and -importing files)

[FrameMaker used as an example; other structured or semi-structured
production applications have analogs).