Re: Using Word as an Authoring System

Subject: Re: Using Word as an Authoring System
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2017 08:58:11 -0500

*HELP! (I Need Somebody...)* â My best advice regarding Word is to know
where to go when you need an immediate answer to a perplexing problem.

The WORD PC listserv run out of Liverpool is excellent; MVP Suzy Davis is
an outstanding contributor.

Next, check out the Shauna Kelly website: https://www.shaunakelly.com/

Then there is the Word section at Windows Secrets Lounge:
https://windowssecrets.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/20-Word-Processing

*STYLES & TEMPLATES* â As others have suggested, the biggest thing is to
create your own company's approved styles within a template, then lock down
said template at the admin level. Otherwise a situation might ultimately
occur whereby a user is prompted to save a new template file. Not knowing
the diff. between a document and a template (the prompting dialog box looks
pretty much the same), the user blithely clicks [OK].

And others want to quibble with me over this, but I strongly recommend that
you DO NOT use the Normal style (different than the Normal template), nor
should you base anything on that style. See
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/wrangling-word-unwieldibeast-chris-morton-/

*FILE FORMAT* â Within your company, I'd think that the platform (OS) and
version of Word wouldn't be an issue; it can be problematic elsewhere.
Stick with the XML-based .DOCX file format, rather than yesteryear's
M$-proprietary .DOC file format.

*NEW EXPLOIT* â As you may recall, DDE (and OLE) is the feature that lets
one embed things like an Excel spreadsheet in Word, et al. Updating
numerical data in one app automatically does the same in the other.

There is a new exploit that leverages a DDE (dynamic data exchange)
vulnerability. I saw an example whereby Word automatically ran a Powershell
script that further infected the demo machine. It freaked me out. I
understand it's been patched for the latest Windows and Word updates, but
that doesn't cover everyone (like me, running Word 2013 on Windows 8.1).
Workaround patches exist.

*TIP*: A DOCX file can be unzipped using PKUNZIP, et al. This can be useful
when someone has embedded a graphic in a DOCX and you want to do something
with it independently. Unzipping the DOCX yields all of its components.

Chris Morton
(click logo â for details)

<https://www.the-efa.org/memberinfo/chris-morton-10670/>
â Substantive Editing â Technical Writing â Proofreading
â B2B/B2C â Marketing Expertise â Mentoring