Re: dealing with inflated ego

Subject: Re: dealing with inflated ego
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 11:36:40 -0700

On 4/19/2018 10:36 AM, Emoto wrote:

One of the things that I do is separate my personal email from my
professional email. Things I do for work have my work email. My work
email is not used for anything personal. Therefore, should someone
search for my work email, they will only find the sort of sanitary
communications one might expect. I recommend this separation. I would
give any prospective employers my work email, and some other seldom
used email if need be. They do not need to know everything about me.

That is a great practice! A lot of people do that for lists they join. Many email addresses here have a mention of the list in their addresses. It is good to keep personal separate from business. It is also a good practice to regard your posts to Techwr-L as professional communication that others may use to evaluate you.

People should also be aware of searchability of a list. Techwr-l has always stated that it is searchable. It's out of date meta description is "A searchable resource for Technical Writers with over 18 years of tips, tricks and ideas for technical communications and technical writers." The FAQs describe its searchability.

http://www.techwr-l.com/frequently-asked-questions.html#public
"Will my email discussions be recorded and public in an archive?
Yes, all email discussions are part of our public archive which is located on this website. We have well over 300,000 different discussions available to Google, Bing, Duck-Duck-Go, and any web crawler that wants to index us. We share these questions so that others who have the same question can easily find the answer. "

Also, http://www.techwr-l.com/frequently-asked-questions.html#remove.
"How do I have a message removed from the archive?
One of the significant value that TECHWR-L provides to the community is a historical record of the issues and themes of the profession over the years, including the more interesting or contentious issues. As a general rule, postings are not removed from the archives. Please use care in your postings, and not to post messages that you might later regret. If there are significant extenuating circumstances with a specific posting, please contact us we'll work through some of the options."

Every hiring manager should search every candidate they consider and the practice in increasing in popularity. https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/2377-social-media-hiring.html

Someone hiring a technical writer may have already performed a search on technical writing and technical writers in general. That search could lead them to TECHWR-L. All posts are permanent. If searching the list becomes common, then in 20 years someone can read what you wrote here.

Someone familiar with TECHWR-L, like another technical writer, may search a name and techwr-l. For example, "lynne wright techwr-l."
https://www.google.com/search?ei=guDYWsCFAaed0gKH1Z3AAg&q=lynne+wright+techwr-l&oq=lynne+wright+techwr-l&gs_l=psy-ab.3...26529.28078.0.28339.4.4.0.0.0.0.164.531.1j3.4.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.2.274...35i39k1j33i160k1.0.b79zD5rSn3Q

That search delivers posts by Lynne Wright with the email addresses shown as, Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tritech -dot- com and Lynne -dot- Wright -at- tiburoninc -dot- com.