Re: "How to Write a User Manual"

Subject: Re: "How to Write a User Manual"
From: Chris Morton <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2018 16:55:23 -0400

I'm in Lynne's camp.

The post was clickbait for Clickhelp. Its content manager had a piece
scheduled from that "author."

Said "author" whipped something up that looked OK to the content manager,
who has never written a user guide. And so the cycle continues.

I'm handling a lot of this stuff today for several clients who are smart
enough to understand that the "authors'" submissions need to be copyedited
by a pro. That be me.

Meanwhile the "authors continue to turn in first draft drivel, complete
with gems like this:

The log query *too* 4 hours. I didnât get to *best* last night until 3 am.

Last week another "author" sought to *alley* readers' fears.

But hey, at least these people ran spell check, right? ð

There's a terrific passage in Stephen King's *11/22/63* where the
protagonist teaches GED English during evenings... something about tons of
red ink and being driven stark-raving mad, mad, mad....*MAD! ð*

All this to say I'm so glad I'm not an English teacher who has to grade
essays, term papers, and such. There would be much carnage. Bodies
everywhere. "Want red ink? Why, I'll SHOW you red ink!!!!"

Chris Morton
(click logo â for details)

<https://www.the-efa.org/memberinfo/chris-morton-10670/>
â Substantive Editing â Technical Writing â Proofreading
â B2B/B2C â Marketing Expertise â Mentoring