Subject: TECHWR-L Digest Issue
From: Matt Danda <mdanda -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2018 14:02:38 +0000 (UTC)

I just saw what appeared to be an interesting conversation on techwr-l, but since I subscribe to the Digest form, it was very difficult to follow due to the ridiculous number of extraneous lines appended to the bottom of each post. For example, let's say someone posts a two-sentence reply. That post gets dozens of extra lines (i.e., lines that begin with ">") appended to it. As more people chime in to the conversation, there can be hundreds (I'm guessing--I didn't count--but it feels like hundreds) of extra lines inserted between each tiny nugget of real conversation. It is painful to scroll through.

Also, for some weird technical reason, some messages get wonderful "?" characters added somewhat randomly in the message. What gives?

I suggest the following solutions:-A human could edit the digest form, deleting extraneous lines and fixing the "?" character issue. I find this reasonable because, let's face it, it's not that many per day.
-A script could delete all lines that begin with ">".

I like this group, and I like digests. I just wish it wasn't so painful to follow the discussions.