RE: Review tools

Subject: RE: Review tools
From: "Wright, Lynne" <Lynne -dot- Wright -at- Kronos -dot- com>
To: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 19:36:05 +0000

Yeahh... i tried using the two-browser window solution, but i was hoping to come up with a way to author and output to pdf in one easy-to-use interface that doesn't require a bunch of workarounds to get where I want to go.

Regarding what output from Confluence has to do with reviews... well, once I've gotten approval on the content on Confluence, I need to produce a pdf of that content (I'm talking release notes) that can be delivered to our customers (our company has very strict network security rules, so currently, its not possible to give our clients access to a space on Confluence; and even if they COULD access pages of content, they'd probably still want us to provide a pdf).

So I was authoring on a Confluence page so that people could add review comments, then I'd output to Word, then I'd have to make all these manual formatting corrections, add logical page breaks, then output to pdf.

Problems I had with tables: some column headers were bold, some were normal (I wanted them all normal); and it wasn't possible to have content in the first table of the column flush left, and content in all other columns centered (I'm talking about tables that list software components and version numbers). Or even to have centered column headers and flush left body table content: all cells in the table have to use the same alignment. (Or maybe it IS possible, but the tech support people that were trying to troubleshoot my problems didn't really seem to understand much about how any of this works either).

I also had same random font changes in body text; phrases that were converted to italic, or a bigger point size, etc.

Another downside to Confluence: The text editing tools are kind of glitchy and weird, so reviewers who tried to add content or make edits right in the text (which I asked them NOT to do, preferring that use the in-line comment bubbles, but there you go) would throw everything out of whack. And I was getting a billion page update notifications, because reviewers would make a change, then go back and make another change, then need to update a JIRA ticket number or something. Basically, the process was a confusing mess that caused me a lot more work and grief than just using Word.

I ended up authoring in Word; uploading the content to a Confluence page, then once reviews were complete, copying and pasting paragraph by paragraph back into the Word doc. And that's just crazy.