Re: First days and weeks on the tech writing job

Subject: Re: First days and weeks on the tech writing job
From: Tony Chung <tonyc -at- tonychung -dot- ca>
To: Nina Rogers <janina -dot- rogers -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2018 13:25:07 -0700

As a new guy who is always hired into a messy situation and expected to
create miracles, I think being clear with your expectations at the start is
paramount to a successful onboarding. Being a constant shadow gives the
impression youâre micromanaging. Not providing enough detail about what you
want the person to achieve will cause frustration.

My onboarding at a large global company consisted of disorganized wiki
topics of out of date how-to material. I was left pretty much on my own and
had to figure things out.

Three months in, I was given a great opportunity to work alongside a more
experienced (with the company) writer to help with that personâs tasks
using my special skill set of coding and video. The very next day, the
company laid off a number of staff, my colleague included. So then I became
that guy, part time, while focusing on my content at the same time.

Looking back, I should have asked for that opportunity when I first
started, so that I could hit the ground running and make an impact before I
officially took on the documentation for a complete product all on my own.
It turns out the work I was doing for my product was next generation, and
didnât fit the corporate documentation (which traditionally had been
regarded as terrible). This came to a head when my product docs were merged
into a different doc suite and it made my work virtually invisible.

Had I stayed working with the experienced writer, I would have learned more
about how our documentation was traditionally done, and could have
introduced the improvements the writer wanted to implement while still
employed.

-Tony