Re: Looking for classes in indexing

Subject: Re: Looking for classes in indexing
From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 17:35:05 -0400

I frown at some subentries, where the reader is looking for a term, but does not know how the indexer categorized it.

You are looking for peach melba, hoping to find a recipe that you can use for making peach melba pie. Can't find it! It's not a top-level entry in the index. Where to look next? Pies? It's not their either. Ahhh, finally!

Puddings
About 236
Banana, 240, 255
Chocolate, 275
Custard, See Custards
Lemon, 241
Peach, 243
Peach Melba, 255
Vanilla, 238

Why does it have to be a subentry and not a main entry? You have to read the entire index, maybe two or three times, to find it.

On the other hand, some subentries are a good thing. I particularly like the index in Rombauer & Becker's "Joy of Cooking," which uses subentries carefully, and which often has an "About" subentry as shown above with puddings. It removes the desire to have a page entry for the heading.

Unfortunately, although "About" is a "top of the list" item in English, it fares poorly in some other languages. In German it is probably "Um". Fast am Ende des deutschen Alphabets.

On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 16:55:36 -0400, <dick -at- rlhamilton -dot- net> wrote:

Looking at the STC article, Iâm curious to get the opinion of indexers in this group on the following item on the list:

5. Do not assign page references to both the main entry level and the subentry level.

Do you agree?

I see this frequently, including in my copy of CMOS 15 and Nancy Mulvanyâs "Indexing Books." And I know itâs in our books, too (though some of those were indexed by me or the author and not by a professional:-).